Sunday, March 5, 2017

Do I have an Innovator's Mindset???

I am a conformist by nature. A rule follower. A believer in black and white....those gray areas, man they are tricky. So, I am probably the least likely to call myself innovative, let's just say going against the grain does not come naturally to me.

However, I do believe that continuing to learn is critical. In fact, I learn something new every day. I may learn it through necessity in my role as an Instructional Technology Facilitator, through the curiosity of my two children, or through my own adventures in connecting with others. That is why I am here! To continue to push myself, to connect with other educators who are pushing themselves, and to challenge my thinking on education and learning; something that is very near and dear to my heart.

Innovation goes hand in hand with education. It is important to understand when it is time to hold on to conventional methods and when it is time to change things up. It is easy to get caught up in the idea that "innovation" is something completely new and revolutionary. Sometimes it is, but sometimes it is as simple as changing the way we think about things. Innovation can begin with something as simple as questioning the norm and giving a little push-back to provoke critical thinking.

One of my key take aways from the introduction of "The Innovator's Mindset" is from page 8.

"In reality, you can't make anyone change; people can only change themselves. What you can do is create the conditions where change is more likely to happen." 

This made me reflect upon my role with as an ITF, and it made me ask myself; do I help to create conditions where change is likely to happen? Do I build trusting relationships? Do I model risk taking in education? Am I available?

I am looking forward to continuing this book study, challenging myself, connecting with innovative educators, and developing my innovator's mindset!!

A selfie, a signed book, and
a photo bomber!

#IMMOOC
@kristinedwards3
Kristin Edwards

No comments:

Post a Comment